Sunday, May 13, 2012

what's cooking in my kitchen

Alright, so I know I just did this on Saturday, BUT...I had to share this one with you and I just couldn't wait another day. I feel the need to share this amazing cake with everyone!!  This is the other dessert my little one and I made on Saturday. And yes we did have a fabulous day together too. As I type this late Sunday afternoon I am hearing thunder... should make for an interesting evening. Awesome...
So what did we make??????
This...


Oh would you look at that??!!! Yes it's as good as I think it looks too! What is this wonderful little treat called? Lemon Blueberry Cake. How on earth have I lived my whole life without it??!! I have no idea. But now that I have found it I shall make it again!!
I was actually looking for a Lemonade Cake. All the ones I found were made with a box cake, and I didn't have one on hand. Never do. Humph. Now what? Well I scrolled on down the page and saw a picture of this cake, only there's looked much "prettier" then mine. Mine looks homemade, there's looked professional. But I'm ok with that. It still tastes wonderful. And that's the point. Right?! I thought so too.


Here it is before I cut into it. It's kinda lop sided. Not sure why all my cakes are when I layer them. But this is as fancy a making cake as this gal gets. I usually just leave it in the 9x13 pan and slap on some frosting. One of my many SIL's makes cakes, and sells them. She does the fondant thing, and wow are her cakes beautiful. She even made a wedding cake recently. I hang out with her too. Just in case you were wondering. Anyways she does a beautiful job and they taste good too. Even better. Just a little bunny trail there for you.

I took lots of pics making this, but there are many steps and 3 different parts to making this cake, it would make for a very long post. So I won't post them.


Here is the filling in between the layers. It's homemade lemon curd. I say that because I was asked if I had made my own. I had no idea you could buy lemon curd. Nope no dye in it, just some farm fresh egg yolks there for ya. Perty hu? I put some of the frosting around the edge so the curd would stay in. That is the white stuff around the edge.

Now if ya like here is the recipe. Oh and I found this on a google search. Type it in and your sure to find it.

Lemon Blueberry Cake (Sorry I have no printer friendly version, so if ya want it yer gonna have to long hand it ;-)
2 C flour +6 T
1 t salt
2 t baking powder
3 C blueberries fresh (I only have frozen, and didn't coat them with the flour per the recommendation.)
1/2 C sour cream
1/2 C milk
2 t vanilla
3/4 t lemon extract
1 t lemon zest
1.5 C sugar
4 eggs
2 sticks butter-soft
Preheat oven to 350. Sift dry together. Take out 1 T flour, and save to coat blueberries. Coat the blueberries if they are fresh, with the 1 T.
Stir milk, sour cream, vanilla, lemon, lemon zest together in a bowl.
In mixer cream sugar and butter until it's nice and creamy looking. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each.
Mix in flour and milk mixture, alternating each and mixing well. Fold in blueberries. Divide into 3, 9in  round pans, that are greased and floured. Bake about 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Lemon Curd
3 egg yolks
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 C lemon juice
6 T sugar
4T butter cut into chunks
Combine everything but the butter. In sauce pan over medium heat stirring constantly until it gets thick. Want it to coat the spoon. About 5 min. Remove from heat and add butter 1 T @ a time. Keep it smooth. Cover and put in fridge for an hour before using. Make double batch of this for the cake.

Zesty Lemon Frosting
1 C butter
5C icing sugar (I had no idea what this was so figured it was powdered sugar and that is what I used.)
2 t lemon zest
60ml lemon juice
1/2 t lemon extract
6T whipping cream
2 T water

Cream butter and zest. About 3 min. Slowly add sugar. Beat 2 min. Add rest of ingredients and beat another 3-5 minutes. Want it nice light and fluffy.
Layer the cake, put curd in the middle, frost the top. Keep in fridge due to the curd.
Enjoy!!! Just so you can see the cake you'll be slaving over for a while one last time before you leave...it's worth it!!































5 comments:

  1. This looks so good. If makes you feel any better I can not layer a cake to save my life. I stick with the rectangle cake left in the pan and frosting over the top. Sometimes I don't even frost.

    @ 3Beeze Homestead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, that looks delicious! I love lemon curd, I could eat it all by itself (and I have). This is a definite must try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your cake is beautiful!! I want some!! Love lemon curd and blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, that looks like something I could eat at least half of at this moment. Would you like some company? Or is there any left? I am going to have to make this because I love blueberries and lemon curd. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! That is the most amazing combination! It looks completely delicious! I can't help using exclamation points!

    ReplyDelete