Tuesday, May 8, 2012

something new

I'm trying something new. Never made it before. A friend of mine gave me the mother. What?
It's Kombucha. Ever had it? Do you like it? I tried it, and  it's not bad. It's expensive to buy it at the store. I can drink some everyday or every other day, and see how it goes. Maybe my kiddos will drink it too. I decided to give it a try. Why not?! I love to try new things. Besides it detoxifies. haha I had to google the benefits. But now that I know I'm all set to try it. I'll let you know in 7-10 days how it turns out, depending on the weather. Needs to be warm. I put it above my fridge and that should keep it warm. It's just the original kind. You can make all different kinds. So here are the pics.

sugar to boiling water

4 tea bags. it's decaf so my husband can try it too.

everyone needs a mother, including kombucha

gotta have some kombucha from a previous batch to add




here 'tis.

all ready for a warm dark place.
Can't wait to try it!
Have a great day all!

10 comments:

  1. Yes... I've heard of it.

    A friend of mine drinks it, and she gets it from the health food store.

    I thought it smelled terrible.. so I was too chicken to try it~~LOL.

    Best of luck with your home-made version. Let us know how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks intriguing! You will have to let us know how it turns out -- do you realize that a lot of beginnings for good things start with 'mothers'? Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We LOVE kombucha! Brewing some here too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to hear what the results are!

    Does putting something aside like that (for a week or so, all comfy and warm) ever make you think that sometimes we should just be allowed to hang out in bed for a week? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. I'm not a stay in bed kinda gal I'd go crazy, unless I'm SUPER sick. Then maybe. But it is food for thought!

      Delete
  5. Sounds interesting, let us know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read an article in a magazine about this recently. Can't wait to see how it goes for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have mine going now for about 4 years. I am selling some scoby at the farmer's market now too. That's where I got my original mother. I love this stuff. Are you just now starting yours? I have found that if I miss a few days, which is rare, I can sure tell. My hands hurt and are hard to get going. And I have tried using different flavors of tea. And have also tried honey and succanot as well. Also grated some fresh ginger into the starter. Now that is good! I have 1 1/2 gallons going all the time. Have fun with yours.

    Kris at Outback Farm in Ga.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forgot to say that you can start more scobys by letting a cup or so of the tea sit out for a few weeks. Like if you don't have enough and want more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kris- yes this is the first time I've ever made it. I bought it once at the store and thought it was juice gone bad a few years ago, and never really thought about it again. Then my friend had me try some. She loves it, and I decided to give it a try. She has tried different kinds, but I've just started!
    Thanks for the tips, and stopping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete