Saturday, August 4, 2012

whats cooking in my kitchen

Oh I did! Oh yes I did! Evil, purely evil! Brwhahahaha

OK, so I'm not evil, but I did make these wonderful little things...

Donut holes? Nope.
Krispie Kremes? Yup! I made them this morning. It takes some time to make them. But they are relatively easy to make. Now don't go and roll your eyes at me because I said that and I seem to say they a lot, but I do think they are easy. I like foods that are easy to make, and have everything I need to make it in my cupboard. I hate buying a list of ingredients for one thing and then not using it for anything else. Know what I mean?
SO let's cook!

 Milk, water yeast and a little sugar. Let it sit and get frothy.

 Here you have ,eggs, flour, butter, sugar, salt.
 Dump it all in the flour and mix it up and you get this..

 Now for the aching hands. You knead it for 10 minutes. Yup, then you get this...

 dough. Let  sit for about an hour, until double in size.
 And this is what you get.
This picture reminds me of the Dots candy. Anyone remember that? You know the nasty sugar dots that kids love. I think it was multi colored. I made a double batch and got 48. Yup that's it. A single batch only gives you 24. SO it's work, for not a lot.

Then you fry 'em.




Then you roll em in a glaze, or sugar and cinnamon, or sugar and vanilla or whatever your heart desires! My kiddos like glaze so that is what I did.
One last look!
Yummy!
I found the recipe to be weird, read it and you'll find out why. Not all the ingredients are listed by the cup but by the ounce. I think that's weird. Maybe it's just me. So you might want a scale!

Krispie Kremes
8 oz flour
2t yeast
1 egg, beaten
1/2 t salt
1 oz butter, soft
3T boiling water
3T milk
11/2 oz Castor sugar (I just used the sugar I use for everything, and it was fine. Have no idea what Castor sugar is!)


1. Measure water in pan. Boil. Add milk, 1t sugar and yeast. Stir, and let sit 10 min.
Put the rest of the sugar, salt, & flour in a bowl and rub in butter (I just cut it in).
2. Then pour beaten egg, and frothy yeast into flour mixture. Stir to mix. If it seems dry add 1t warm water at a time.
3. Turn dough out and knead for 10 minutes. Want it to feel elastic. Then put in bowl and cover. Let sit about 1 hr until double in size.
4. Punch down, get air bubbles out. Divide into 24 balls.
5. Fry about 2 min until golden brown.



Glaze: 1/3 C butter
11/2 t vanilla
2 C powdered sugar
4T warm water-or as needed


That's it!
Have a great day all!



8 comments:

  1. OH MY! HUBBY is going to LOVE this recipe!! I will or he will be tryin these donut holes out! He LOVES glazed donuts!!! Great post! Also, thank you for the sweet comments on my #127 run....what do I do with this stuff? I keep some finds, sell some finds(friends love seeing what ya have), hubby will keep a few things.....it's FUN and ADDICTING! I make/repurpose items, give as gifts etc.....Have a great weekend! From one sweetie to another~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look fantastic. I would eat too many, absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOT FAIR!! You are supposed to share when you make something like this! LOL!!
    I have seen a few recipes that use weight instead of volume...I don't really get it but they say you get more accurate measurements that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these look so good!
    Perfect for me too... because, believe it or not, I don't have a donut cutter!?
    I'm going to give these a try one of these days.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    Have a great week!

    Smiles :)
    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you are evil. Krispy Kremes are my biggest weakness of all. I will be right over - any left???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha!! Your all very welcome for the recipe!! And new habit! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious! You have the best recipes! Thanks for sharing ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look fantastic. I would eat too many, absolutely. I'm going to give these a try one of these days.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    - Herman Swan

    ReplyDelete