Friday, March 18, 2011

bagles

Well today was the first time I have ever made bagels! They are for breakfast tomorrow. The Man has to get up real early and get out of the house to go to a conference, so I made bagels because, well I've wanted to for a while, he needs a quick grab and go breakfast, and I need to do chores alone tomorrow morning and need to feed the kids asap when the chores are done, and myself. I like to get the animals done before I feed myself. The recipe makes 10 bagels. I decided not to double it because I didn't know how they would come out and wasn't sure if I would like them, that and they are kinda time consuming. Well I couldn't wait until tomorrow to try one, so I ate half of one and Little Matt ate the other half. WOW!! Love them! Classic fresh bagel taste. Chewy and soft on the inside with a little bit of a crispy outside. I didn't toast it either, I was too impatient, I just smeared some cream cheese on it and devoured it. So now there are only 9 left. Guess I'll be making more real soon, and probably freezing some too for a later date! I hope that everyone else likes them, I know Little Matt liked them. We are bagel kinda family ya know, and if they don't, all the more for me and the boy! I think I will be hard pressed to buy bagels again now though...
Anyways I took some pictures to share what they looked like. The recipe if a Martha Stewart recipe if your interested in making some yourself. She boils them before baking too in this recipe. Way too many directions to type out for me! My grand mother gave me one of her cook books for Christmas a couple years ago and it's in the one called "Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook". I've tried lots of recipes in there and they are very good. Lots of butter and eggs!

The dough all mixed and ready to rise, about 2 hrs... 

the balls start a 20 min. rise, then roll them in to sticks, then shape them into bagels...

let 'em rise again, then boil them in water with Barely Malt Syrup (that is why the water is brown) for about 30 sec on each side...

put a topping on 'em if you want. I did 2 garlic, and 4 sesame seed, the rest plain...

bake 'em for 5 min on 500, lower the temp, cook more,  flip 'em and cook more!! 

didn't get real brown, but they still look good...

the inside, yummy! 
Have a great weekend all!

1 comment:

  1. Well done! They look great and it might be worth it to try these myself especially with the amount of garlic bagels I'm eating from DD's! YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete