Saturday, October 2, 2010

fall days

Well, for the time being my computer will not allow me to upload pictures on to this blog. Well, it ,will, but it will take forever. I have dial up. Probably  one of the only people in the world who has it, but for now, that's what it is.
Today was a beautiful day. It was warm and sunny, with a crisp to the air when the wind would blow. A very nice fall day in Maine indeed. I hope we have more days like today! The trees have unfortunately lost a number of their beautiful leaves due to all the wind and rain we had, but there are still a number  left and they are spectacular! We started putting the garden to rest for the winter. We pulled the tomatoes and the corn. Well actually our son decided to take the scissors and cut them down. He's a big Danial Boone fan and was hacking away at them. He had a blast doing to too. Was fun to watch him cut and I found myself wondering what he was thinking as I stood and watched him, without him knowing it. We left the carrots, because I'm not ready to can them yet, and that is all that is left of our garden. We had a great harvest this year and are very thankful for it. I've canned a number of green beans, (one of our favorites), pizza sauce,spaghetti sauce, jams and jellies. Not all today mind you, over the summer. My husband tilled the garden, then went up into the field to ted, rake, and then bale the straw we plan to sell. The girls played outside while I mowed the lawn, the horses were out  on the side lawn eating, and our son was in the field, after cutting down the corn, the cow was out eating grass and I could hear her bell clanking in the distance.The laying hens were happily clucking and eating bugs and worms in the garden, while the kittens ran around like crazy little ones do, the sheep were out eating grass, and the broilers were well, eating. When I was done mowing the lawn I sat down out back, by the garden, with the sun beating down on my back, and watched my family while they were busy doing their things and I watched them. The girls were giggling as little girls do, my husband and son were in the field working together, the animals were being animals, and all was right in my world. I smiled happily as I came in the house to make pizza for supper, and butter for the freezer to sell. After all that was cleaned up and the cow was milked and the animals put to bed, Matthew (my husband) and I went to the field and brought in the straw from the field.
Now all our chores are done for the day and we can relax and enjoy our evening. It was a great day!!!

1 comment: