Friday, May 20, 2011

what on earth...


is that? Looks like yellow cheese in something. But I wouldn't recommend eating it. And a side note, I don't buy yellow cheese. Milk is white, not yellow. Don't want the dye!
I have kinda poo pooed this idea for some time now. Why? Because it's easier to get it already done at the grocery store. But then again a lot of things are easier to just buy at the store come to think of it. Well are you wondering what it is? It's my first attempt at making homemade laundry detergent. So I'll let you know how it went.


These are the ingredients. Cost all of about $8.12, that's with the tax. I found some recipes on line and thought why not!? I finally decided to bite the bullet and try it. So I grated the Fels Naptha bar with a cheese grater. Then added the rest. Then thought, well I have towels to wash, so I'll try it on them instead of clothes, just in case... Well I knew that the Fels Naptha bar won't dissolve in cold water, so I'll just turn on the hot water and throw it in and mix it around, then turn the water back to cold to finish filling up the washer. Yes I use cold water to do laundry. Well the Fels didn't dissolve in the hot water. At all. Great, now I have to clean it out of the washer, and melt it. But that means more work to wash clothes. Boil water, add the soap, let it dissolve, then put it in the wash, then, well you get the picture. A little bit inconvenient for me. Too many steps. And too much time. So I decided to try the liquid homemade laundry soap. It ended up being a double batch because the first batch of dry stuff made it be a liquid double batch. I hope I like it! I'll let you know!

Hot water, with the Nels Naptha to melt. Took about 10 minutes to melt it all down.

finished product. I had to put it two small buckets to fit it, for 24 hours. I have two store brand laundry containers that should fit some. I get the 96 loads size. I have yet to try it because it needs to sit for like I said 24 hours. 

Well there you have it. My latest project for making a homemade soap, for the wash! Happy laundry washing all!

2 comments:

  1. Been there - done that! ONCE, not my thing... I much prefer the O-Nature-L that I buy in bulk and the barrel store. Anxious to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 20, 2011

    can't wait to find out how THIS comes out...

    ReplyDelete