Monday, January 9, 2012

messes

Last week we started back up with home school after a short break for Christmas. I took the kiddos shopping with me and they had doctor appointments as well. I was setting up another appointment and was asked what time would work, after school, and I said whenever, I home school and can come any time. The lady looked at me and I braced myself for the comment I was sure was coming, I just love all the looks and comments I get at times, but she smiled and genuinely said "Wow, that's wonderful. I am such a strong believer in home school. I'll bet they are getting a great education. I think that's wonderful you are able to do that. I'll bet you get a lot of slack for that too." I tried to keep my mouth from hitting the floor at the comment. I stumbled through a thank you. I couldn't believe it. She made my day! I have gotten some looks from people while out shopping during "school" hours and been asked if it was a day off, I smile and say "nope, we home school" and go on my way. I've been asked how do it do it as they see I have 3-4 kiddos with me, depending on how much shopping I have to do. I've been called the lady with all the kids before too. I think it's funny. Or the very typical wow you have your hands full, or how many DO you have? I don't consider 4 kiddos to be a lot, or that I have a large family. Granted sometimes if you were to come to my house and hear the noise level or see the tornado of kiddos stuff that has gone through my house, tripped on or were to sit on one of the toys you might wonder how many kiddos lived here! I usually always have some sort of mess to clean up, and my counter top is never fully cleaned off, and nothing is usually where it belongs for more then about 10 seconds, but I have come to the realization that it's ok. My kiddos have wonderful imaginations, love to be outside, and don't get to watch T.V all day, or everyday for that matter, and if they do get to watch TV it's Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons or Danial Boone type movies. They help out tons with the chores, love to lug fire wood, and stack it in the fall with daddy. They help me clean up the house and put things away when they are asked.  I trip over a toy or two every time I walk through the living room, or get my foot snagged on a dress up dress. But before I go to bed at night I pick up the things left scattered about the house and put them in the kiddos rooms and look at them sleeping peacefully, tired from a full day of life in the country, and smile. Life is good.  I know there will be a day when they will be grown and leave my house and have one of their own and I will miss tripping on something every time I walk through the living room. I once read on a blog to think of house work as a good meal. You work really hard to make that meal, and look at it for about 5 minutes before it's all gone. The people you love enjoyed the meal you made for them, and it makes me feel good. It's kinda like that with house work, you work really hard to get the rooms cleaned, only to have someone come behind you and mess it up. They enjoyed your work and the clean room, even though it was only clean for about 5 minutes. I'm glad they enjoyed the clean room.Know what I mean?
Anyways life has been very busy for me, that's why I haven't been blogging. House work, school, ya know! haha!
Have a great night all!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely post and your children are truly lucky to be homeschooled! I don't think four is very many either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never have home schooled. My kids plus me just wouldn't have allowed it to happen however, I commend anyone who makes it work. Homeschooled kids seem to have fewer social problems when they meld into high school. Wonder how that works.

    ReplyDelete